Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Stacks

 Too much.

Lately I've been stacking shoots on shoots, to the point where I don't have time to go back and look at them, much less treat them.  Aside from that, I have also hit a bit of a creative wall.  I don't know what I like anymore, again.  The things I do post are getting less and less hits, so I feel like what little audience I had has wandered off, and all I can see now is equipment failure, so the fact that I can't afford to even shoot with the things I need is wearing on me.

 My 24mm is pretty much done.  I noticed some focusing problems a while back, so its use tapered off.  I really like to shoot wider angles, though, and sometimes it is absolutely necessary, but there are entire sets now that are completely unusable because of the focus and my inability to remember this problem.  I can only write it off as shooting into the sun too much, which commonly fogs faster lenses when they are wide open.  The L version of this lens is close to $1300, so I'm pretty much stuck with making the most of this for a while.  It is a wide angle, though, so why do I feel like I need to push the Ap?
The jaunt to Joshua Tree yesterday meant we got to spend a little more time with Michael, Rosie, and Ashleigh.  That was nice.  I wish we had more friends like this, who could just ditch all the stupid shit and jump in and accomplish something.  It was great talking photography with someone who has accomplished so much in the field, and learning the dynamic between him and models.  There were a couple of little things he did that I never thought to do, which also makes me feel stupid looking back at these photos, because they could have been a lot better with some very basic direction.  That was never how I worked.  I feel like I got better stuff shooting over his shoulder than I did when I had three beautiful souls staring at me.  My wife is used to my shooting style, but the other two seemed to be waiting for me to tell them what to do.

Between the block, equipment failure and envy, and just trying to make ends meet, I've got a lot of shit to figure out before Sienna comes through in three weeks.

I have shot and developed more rolls in the last six months than I have in the last ten years, but I also don't have the means to get a good look at them, so who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment