Friday, September 2, 2016

Sitting

We are in the final weeks now of what will probably be my last opportunity to capture a pregnancy so intimately, even though I haven't really had the opportunity to capture the pregnancy too intimately.  We have gone out to shoot a lot, and I have captured most of the evolution, but she is finally getting to the point where she is accepting that she is beautiful, as opposed to the cliché "fat" or "frumpy" or "whatever,"  and not bombarding me with excuses to not shoot, or torturing me with her silly insecurities.
In her "accepting" where she is, she contacted a local amazing artist, Michael Newberry, about sitting for him.  This was really more in her comfort zone, as she worked as a figure model for about a decade.  We went over to his studio last night, and sketching commenced.
His studio was nestled under Tahquitz Rock, which is only a reference that will make sense if you are familiar with my little mountain town, and is apparently a former "Bunny House," as this particular property was once owned by that Hefner guy.  He turned out to be a really nice guy, and I don't really have too much to say because it was a genuinely beautiful experience.  They talked a while about emotion, and woman-hood, in relation to pregnancy and partnership, where she was at and what she could bring to the work.  It was nice for me to talk about little creative quirks with someone who actually knew what I was talking about.
I went into it thinking I wouldn't really be involved too much, aside from documenting the event, but he is planning on using my photographs as a reference in his work.  That required my sitting where he was sitting, and trying to see what he was seeing, which actually felt very natural.  I felt like we exchanged some art understanding that I don't find in most places.  Maybe being forced to take those art classes paid off a bit.
He mentioned that this was the first time he collaborated with a photographer, so, no pressure.  Hopefully the focal problems on my cut rate lenses don't mess everything up.

I'm trying to find one of my raw tangents to go on, but it was just a nice experience.  I wish there were more creatives in my life to do things like this with.

My girl and I have been brainstorming certain projects, but it is really just difficult to find people who are open and free and beautiful..... "cool," as I like to call it.

Things keep getting more beautiful, and they will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment